Using Passenger Standalone for development
For our production servers we use Passenger as a Ruby application server. While it is possible to use Passenger for development as an Apache module, the installation process is not for the faint of heart.
Luckily Passenger also comes as a standalone binary which requires zero configuration.
You can Passenger Standalone as a replacement for Webrick or Thin if you'd like to:
- Use SSL certificates locally
- Get performance behavior that is closer to what you'll get on production servers
- Get a full-featured Ruby application server without configuration
- Install Passenger Standalone with
gem install passenger
- Inside any Rails project, start Passenger Standalone with