Personal productivity [1d]
As developers we are dealing with many tasks every week. We need a system to organize ourselves.
After completing this card you should have:
- A to-do list that you maintain every day. Many of us use
todo.txton your desktop or any other tool is fine, too.
, but a
- A habit of tracking any incoming task. We can never forget a task that a colleague or customer gives us.
- A habit of splitting any kind of task or project into actionable first steps.
- A habit of fully completing tasks to clear your plate for new tasks. We cannot have an ever-growing list of "nearly done" tasks.
- A system to process incoming e-mail. It's not OK to scroll through hundreds of e-mails in your inbox every morning, trying to figure out what to do today.
- A with notifications on your desktop and/or phone.
- Considered reducing distractions by disabling notifications.
Watch the following two video summaries of David Allen's book Getting Things Done:
- Watch .
- Consider whether you want to disable desktop notifications for your e-mails.
- Consider whether you want to disable desktop notifications for your Slack messages.
Start using the tools you learned, e.g. track the tasks you're given by your mentor in lists and calendar.