Posted about 6 years ago. Visible to the public.
Deployment basics [1d]
- Understand what Capistrano does
- Understand the differences between Capistrano and
- Understand multi-stage deployment
- Understand the differences between Rails environments and Capistrano deployment targets
- Understand "roles" in Capistrano configuration
- Understand how to make Capistrano do something custom during deploy
- We make database dumps on every deploy. How do we do that?
- We show the total size of the dumps on every deploy. How do we do that?
- Understand the Capistrano directory structure on a target host
- Very few projects still use Capistrano 2. The main difference to Capistrano 3 is that the
deploytasks does not run migrations. You need to use
deploy:migrationsto deploy and migrate.
- (only skim through the details)
- Debugging a failed deployment
- Daniel's Master Thesis (2.3 Deployment der Anwendung)
- In one of our projects, look at
config/deploydirectory. Get a rough understanding what those files do.
- Get an operations engineer to help you deploy MovieDB to
- Please tell the operations engineer to set up Redis on your staging deploy, you will need it at a later stage of the curriculum.
- SSH to your new deployment. Open a shell to the application directory, look around and understand the directory structure.