Posted almost 4 years ago. Visible to the public.
SQL is the language used to talk to a database.
- Understand what SQL does
- Understand what "mySQL" and "PostgreSQL" are
- Learn about some differences between the two
- Understand why we use both at different projects
- Be able to connect to a database
- Understand the following commands
INSERT ... SELECT
- Understand what a "transaction" is
- Understand what an "index" is
- What is its purpose?
- When can it be used?
- What is a "multiple column index"? Does the order of the columns matter?
- Understand how we authenticate to the database
- Know how to get a dump from a staging system
Let someone help you clone the makandracards.com app.
Import the staging database into your local database.
Now do the following things in a database console:
- Find the user table
- Which columns does it have? Which indexes?
- Change the name of your user
- Add yourself to another deck
- Find out how many users there are
- Find out which user has received how many "thanks" ("tributes") with a single query
- Now do the same query only for the "makandropedia" deck
- Does this query use an index? If not, can you add one to speed it up?