- Understand what a Gem is
- Learn how to install a gem
- Be able to look into gem code
- Learn about Bundler
- Why is it necessary:
- Managing versions and dependencies
- Defining a consistent project environment
- What is the difference between
bundle install and
- What does
bundle exec do, why is it necessary?
- What does the file
- Understand why we need rbenv
Play around with bundler. Create a gemfile, add some gems.
Try to add an older version of a gem. Try to update it.
- Find the
andand gem on rubygems.org.
- Find its code on github.
- Understand what it does.
- Look at the code, and see how it works
- Write a simple ruby script that makes use of it. How does
andand's code find its way into your script?
- Look at andand's
.gemspec file and understand what it says.
- How does the gem get to rubygems.org? Where does rubygems get all the additional info?
- andand has "forks". What are forks and why are people creating them? How can you find them?